Wind Turbine Manufacturers
With the demand for wind energy increasing as cost per megawatt decreases, these suppliers are blowing away the competition with their technology and innovation. Energy Acuity, the leading provider of power generation and power delivery market intelligence, has compiled a list of the Top 10 Wind Turbine Manufacturers by analyzing 143 wind manufacturer project pipelines, innovations & strategic initiatives. These suppliers are helping to support the global grid with carbon-free, sustainable energy.
Want to see the 143 Wind Turbine Manufacturers being Tracked, Monitored and Analyzed by Energy Acuity?
Top 10 Wind Turbine Manufacturers
1.) Siemens (Includes Subsidiaries)
Total Pipeline Capacity (MW): 103,620.605
Siemens is a global leader in the wind power industry, with a strong presence in all facets of the business: offshore, onshore and services. The company’s advanced digital capabilities enable it to offer one of the broadest product portfolios in the sector as well as industry-leading service solutions, helping to make clean energy more affordable and reliable. With more than 100 GW installed worldwide, Siemens manufactures, installs and maintains wind turbines, both onshore and offshore.
- 100+ GW installed capacity in over 90 countries with 29,000+ wind turbines serviced.
- In 2017, Siemens Wind Power and Gamesa united their wind businesses to shape the energy landscape of tomorrow and to provide lasting value to their many stakeholders.
- Siemens acquired the first of two Roll-on/roll-off turbine transport ships in 2016, converted from a container ship, to reduce logistics costs.
- Siemens Gamesa is listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, the FTSE4Good Index (which is concerned with corporate social responsibility on the KLD Global Climate 100 Index), and on the Global 100 Index of the 100 most sustainable companies in the world.
Pipeline Capacity (MW): 101,531.04
Vestas is the energy industry’s global partner on sustainable energy solutions. They design, manufacture, install, and service wind turbines across the globe, and with more than 100+ GW of wind turbines in 80 countries, Vestas is #2 for installed wind power. Through their industry-leading smart data capabilities and more than 87 GW of wind turbines under service, Vestas uses data to interpret, forecast, and exploit wind resources to deliver best-in-class wind power solutions. Vestas’ employes more than 24,500 around the globe and currently boasts ≈ 23% of the wind industries market share.
- Vestas has a worldwide installed wind capacity of 591+ GW.
- Vestas gets 100% of its electricity supply from renewable energy and commits to staying at this level even as their operations and electricity consumption grow.
- On track to hit their 2020 target to reduce carbon footprint by 10%+.
- A Vestas Wind Turbine is made from approximately 25,000 parts.
3.) GE Renewable Energy
Pipeline Capacity (MW): 80,541.14
GE Renewable Energy is a $10 billion dollar ‘start-up’ that brings together one of the broadest product and service portfolios of the renewable energy industry. Combining onshore and offshore wind, hydro and innovative technologies such as concentrated solar power and more recently turbine blades, GE Renewable Energy has installed more than 400+ gigawatts capacity globally to make the world work better and cleaner. With more than 22,000 employees present in more than 60 countries, GE Renewable Energy is backed by the resources of the world’s first digital industrial company.
GE Renewable Energy Facts:
- GE is one of the world’s leading onshore wind energy companies, with more than 40,000 onshore wind turbines installed in more than 35 countries and a total installed capacity of 62 GW. This makes GE one of the world’s top 3 wind turbine suppliers.
- GE has installed more than 215,000 wind turbine blades since 1978.
- GE Pioneered the Digital Wind Farm – Through the constant collection of real-time data (i.e. weather, component messages, service reports, the performance of similar models in GE’s fleets) a predictive model is built and the data collected is turned into actionable insights.
Total Pipeline Capacity (MW): 20,975.99
Enercon, based in Aurich, Lower Saxony, Germany, is the fourth-largest wind turbine manufacturer in the world and has been the market leader in Germany since the mid-nineties. Enercon has production facilities in Germany (Aurich, Emden, and Magdeburg), Sweden, Brazil, India, Canada, Turkey, and Portugal. In June 2010, Enercon announced that they would be setting up Irish headquarters in Tralee.
- As of July 2011, Enercon has a market share of 7.2% worldwide (fifth-highest) and 59.2% in Germany.
- As of December 2017, Enercon had installed more than 26,300 wind turbines, with a power generating capacity exceeding 43 GW. The most-often installed model is the E-40, which pioneered the gearbox-less design in 1993.
- Enercon supplies wind turbines to the British electricity company Ecotricity, including one billed as “the UK’s most visible turbine”, an E-70 at Green Park Business Park.
- Enercon 2018 Market Share Breakdown
5.) Nordex SE
Total Pipeline Capacity (MW):19,965.73
Nordex SE has installed wind power capacity of more than 23 GW in over 25 markets. It currently has roughly 5,400 employees. The production network comprises plants in Germany, Spain, Brazil, the United States, and India. The product range primarily concentrates on onshore turbines in the 1.5 – 4.8 MW class addressing the requirements of land constrained as well as grid constrained markets.
Nordex SE Facts:
- Nordex and Acciona Windpower combine decades of experience in designing, constructing and operating wind turbines, delivering more than 18 GW of sustainable energy worldwide.
- Offices and subsidiaries in more than 20 countries.
- In 1995 Nordex was the first company to mass-produce a 1 MW turbine booster.
- In 2017 Nordex generated revenues of €3.007B (≈ $3.354B USD).
Looking For Accurate & Granular Wind Industry Information?
6.) Senvion SE
Total Pipeline Capacity (MW): 18,469.04
Senvion is a leading global manufacturer of onshore and offshore wind turbines. The company develops, produces and markets wind turbines for almost any location – with rated outputs of 2 MW to 6.33 MW and rotor diameters of 82 meters to 152 meters. Furthermore, the company offers its customers project specific solutions in the areas of turnkey, service and maintenance, transport and installation, as well as foundation planning and construction. With approximately 4,000 employees worldwide, the company makes use of the experience gained from the manufacture and installation of more than 8,200 wind turbines around the world.
- Senvion develops, produces and sells wind turbines for nearly every location with nominal powers between 2 and 6.33 megawatts.
- With Senvion’s modular technology, Smart Power Mode enables the optimization of their 4.2M148 and 4.2M140 without component changes. By evaluating the project conditions and adjusting operational parameters, the nominal power can be increased by 300 kW. This maximizes the output from 4.2 MW to 4.5 MW.
- Senvion will install the first offshore wind farm in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Senvion has USA installed turbine capacity of 1,264 MW.
- With equipment pricing under pressure due to auctions, Senvion has filed for insolvency in German courts in early April 2019. (Continue Reading)
Total Pipeline Capacity (MW): 15,321.21
Xinjiang Goldwind Science & Technology Co., Ltd is principally engaged in researching, developing, manufacturing and marketing large-sized wind turbine generator sets, as well as the construction and operation of middle-sized wind power plants. The Company’s major products include 600 kW, 750kW, 1.2 MW and 1.5 MW series wind turbine sets. With more than 50 GW of capacity worldwide, Goldwind’s revolutionary Permanent Magnet Direct Drive (PMDD) technology is shaping a new standard in wind energy. Goldwind offers its innovative comprehensive solutions for renewable energy development, including equipment manufacturing and sales, service, and investment.
- Goldwind now operates on 6 continents, has more than 8,000 employees, and more than 50 GW of installed wind capacity.
- Goldwind has 31,000 operational wind turbines (of which, more than 27,000 are direct drive turbines) in 24 countries.
- By integrating accurate flow field simulation coupling models and big data, Goldwind customers reduce investment risks and increase investment income by 20% or more.
- Goldwind’s powerful R&D capabilities have enabled them to undertake nearly 30 key national scientific research projects, obtain over 3,900 technology patents, and receive design and type certifications for more than 33 equipment models.
8.) Sinovel Wind
Total Pipeline Capacity (MW): 14,020.95
Sinovel Wind Group Co., Ltd. is the first Chinese high-tech enterprise to have specialized in the independent development, design, manufacturing, and sale of large-scale onshore, offshore and intertidal wind turbines, which are adaptable to a variety of global environmental conditions and wind resources. Sinovel is also the first Chinese enterprise to have independently developed a series of 5MW and 6MW wind turbines. As of 2015, the cumulative installed generating capacity of Sinovel turbines reached a total of 16,240 MW which ranked as No.2 of China Wind Market, the cumulative installed offshore generating capacity of Sinovel turbines reached a total of 170 MW, the cumulative installed generating capacity of Sinovel turbines in overseas markets reached a total of 381MW.
Sinovel Wind Facts:
- Sinovel is the first Chinese turbine manufacturer to successfully research, develop and mass-produce the global mainstream 3 MW series of onshore, offshore and intertidal wind turbines.
- Sinovel is the first Chinese enterprise to complete the development and production of 5 MW and 6 MW wind turbines with independent intellectual property rights.
- Sinovel is building the National Offshore Wind Power Technology and Equipment R&D Center, which features state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, specialized R&D laboratory capabilities and cutting-edge technology. Sinovel is also pioneering the development of an integrated base for the manufacturing, assembly, testing, transportation and installation of large-scale offshore wind turbines.
- Sinovel is constructing a testing platform for wind turbines and key components with a capacity of up to 15 MW to maintain the company’s leadership in the development of offshore wind power technologies.
- On 24 January 2018 a U.S. federal jury in Madison, Wisconsin found Sinovel guilty of stealing trade secrets from AMSC causing the American company to lose over $800 million USD. The federal judge ordered Sinovel to pay $59 Million for the act of stealing. (Continue Reading)
Total Pipeline Capacity (MW): 13,268.37
Suzlon is a global player in the renewable energy market. The company makes a handful of wind turbine models for onshore use that range between 600kW to 2.25 MW. The vertically integrated company makes all of its own components – blades, control panels, covers, generators, nacelles, rotors, and towers – that it also sells to competitors. Suzlon has more than a dozen manufacturing plants in India, China, and the US, as well as R&D facilities in Europe and India. The company is focused on growth in emerging Asian markets such as China and India. It is still India’s largest wind turbine company and supplies most of the country’s wind farms, enjoying a market share of more than 50% (≈10.5% global market share ). The company expects China to overtake the US as one of its top markets in the coming years, as federal tax credit incentives for wind power in the US are set to expire.
- Suzlon boasts 18,000+ MW installed capacity with 11,800+ turbines Instillations for 1,800+ customers globally.
- Active operations in 18 countries across 6 continents with 15 manufacturing units and 9 R&D facilities worldwide.
- Suzlon’s 18,000+ MW installed is equivalent to: 3 Billon trees absorbing CO2 per year, 6 million cars taken off the road, 9 million households powered, 27 million tonnes of coal saved, 21 million tonnes of CO2 emission prevented or 200 million desktop computers being powered.
10.) MHI Vestas Offshore Wind
Total Pipeline Capacity (MW): 12,164.60
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind is a joint venture between Vestas Wind Systems A/S 50% and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) 50%. The company’s focus is to design, manufacture, install and service wind turbines for the offshore wind industry. The company aims to create sustainable value through offshore wind power by driving capital and operating savings and increasing the power output of wind turbines. An innovative force in offshore wind since its inception in 2014, the company is guided by its founding principles of collaboration, trust, technology, and commitment.
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind Facts:
- Through MHI’s 20+ year history they have installed ≈ 1000 turbines, equalling more than 3,200 MW worldwide.
- Meeting the challenges of the Atlantic Ocean with its mighty waves and strong winds, the WindFloat is an innovative new floating offshore platform carrying a 2MW wind turbine designed to explore the possibilities of deepwater winds. The WindFloat is connected to the Portuguese National Power Grid via a subsea cable, and its 2 MW capacity can produce enough electricity to power 1,300 households.
- Headquarters located in Denmark, MHI has around 2,500 employees with ≈ $11.4 Million USD in annual revenue.
Source: Energy Acuity Renewable Platform
Who’s Powering The Wind Industry In 2019? 🌬️🔋 Top 10 Wind Power Companies
🌬️🔋 Energy Acuity’s Wind Database 🔋🌬️ – RFP, Project, & Company Tracking
☀️🔋 Top 10 Renewable Energy Companies (2019) 🔋🌬️ – Solar & Wind
Gain A Competitive Advantage!
Energy Acuity (EA) is the leading provider of power generation and power delivery market intelligence. Founded in 2008, EA was built on the principle that essential energy market research could be conducted and presented more efficiently than the traditional third-party data providers.
EA’s unique approach merges primary research, public resource aggregation, web monitoring and expert analysis that is delivered through a simple, dynamic online platform. This allows our clients to focus on actionable information and win business over the competition.
Eliminate research time and accurately assess the market with Energy Acuity’s Renewables Platform!