Energy Acuity, a leading provider of power generation and power delivery market intelligence, has been tracking and monitoring renewable projects in California since 2008. Below are the Top 10 Renewable Energy Companies in California by Capacity (MW). This list has been exported from the Renewable Platform, inside of the Energy Acuity Product Suite.
What Does “In California” Mean?
When we say, “in California“, we’re referring to the amount of Pre-Construction, Under Construction and/or Operating capacity (MW) in California. Although some of these companies are headquartered in California and most have offices in the region, this was not an attribute that we considered when analyzing power generation in California. Essentially, these companies are the ‘most active’ and influential in adding renewable projects to California’s energy mix.
Top 10 Renewable Energy Companies in California by Capacity (MW) List View
*Continue scrolling for Renewable Project Breakdowns, Descriptions, and Notable Company Information.
1.) First Solar
2.) 8minute Solar Energy
3.) Terra-Gen Power
4.) Recurrent Energy
6.) EDF Renewable Energy
7.) NextEra Energy Resources
8.) ForeFront Power
10.) Clearway Energy group
Looking For Accurate & Granular Renewable Energy Information?
1.) First Solar
First Solar Company Description
Founded in 1999 and headquartered in Tempe, Arizona, First Solar is an American photovoltaic (PV) manufacturer of rigid thin-film modules, or solar panels, and a provider of utility-scale PV power plants and supporting services that include finance, construction, maintenance and end-of-life panel recycling.
- First Solar technology displaces 89-98% of greenhouse gas emissions when replacing energy yielded by conventional generation.
- Energy payback time is the amount of time a system must operate to recover the energy required to produce it. No solar technology recoups this energy output faster than First Solar.
- First Solar partners with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) through their Global Charitable Giving Program to provide green education programs, financial contributions, training, and expertise, as well as module donations aimed at providing access to clean energy and drinking water.
- First Solar knows that water scarcity is a problem affecting millions. That’s why they’ve reduced the manufacturing water consumption per-watt-produced by nearly 30% since 2009.
8minute Solar Energy Company Description
8minutenergy develops, finances, engineers, constructs, holds, operates and maintains solar projects. Their projects target all regions of the United States, including California – the largest renewable energy market in the U.S. – where demand for power is considerable. 8minutenergy also acquires and develops projects that are ready for construction. Every 8minutenergy solar PV power project generates local construction and operational jobs, as well as ancillary business and service jobs. These jobs, and related new businesses, contribute millions of dollars to local and regional economies. 8minutenergy’s unique, proprietary process accelerates permitting and development by selecting land-sites and technologies that mitigate risk and minimize approval obstacles. Power grid analysis and detailed land assessments are employed to choose optimal power plant sites that are then validated for economic viability. As a result of this, and the extensive experience of their veteran team, the development timeframe is typically much faster than those of other solar developers. 8minutenergy prefers to build its solar projects on “disturbed” land (for instance, low-value farmland) for lower environmental impact and faster permitting. Access to the distribution or transmission grid is key, and 8minutenergy has developed specific processes to make sure that their projects can interconnect fast and with little investment. 8minutenergy is able to finance and construct solar PV projects at the most competitive energy price possible.
- Every one of 8minute Solar Energy projects (more than 60,000+ acres) has been approved.
- 8minute Solar Energy has been awarded more than 3,000 MWs in PPAs in California since 2012 — the largest share for any developer during this timeframe.
- 8minute Solar Energy’s Mount Signal Solar Farm in California is the largest solar project in the U.S., and among the largest in the world (600 MW-ac, 800 MW-dc).
- The four largest utilities (Southern California Edison, PG&E, LA DWP, SDGE), covering 80% of the California power market, have all executed PPAs with 8minute, and are repeat customers.
3.) Terra-Gen Power
Terra-Gen Power Company Description
Terra-Gen, LLC is a renewable energy company focused on developing, owning, and operating utility-scale wind, solar and geothermal generation. Terra-Gen owns 1,051 MWs (net equity) of wind, geothermal and solar generating capacity in operation across 25 renewable power facilities throughout the Western United States with a focus on the California Marketplace. Terra-Gen’s subsidiaries are responsible for the operation and maintenance of over 2,000 MWs of renewable projects. The company primarily sells the output of renewable energy projects to utilities and power cooperatives under long-term power purchase agreements. Terra-Gen’s operating portfolio is one of the largest renewable businesses in the United States. Terra-Gen continues to expand operations in renewable generation through a combination of acquisitions of operating projects, development of new projects and partnering on mid and late-stage development opportunities.
- The executive management team averages over 25 years of relevant industry experience and collectively, has managed/participated in the development and acquisition of over 25,000 MW over the course of their careers.
- As a leading renewable energy developer that operates over 1.3 GW of wind, solar, and geothermal facilities, Terra-Gen specializes in the development, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, energy storage, and geothermal generation facilities.
- Since the Energy Capital Partners acquisition in late 2015, Terra‐Gen has grown contracted development and operating capacity by over 1,200 MW and is positioned for continued growth.
- Today, Terra-Gen has a 3+ GW wind, solar and battery development pipeline in addition to currently contracted development projects.
4.) Recurrent Energy
Recurrent Energy Company Description
Recurrent Energy is a leading utility-scale solar project developer, delivering competitive, clean electricity to large energy buyers. Based in the U.S., Recurrent Energy is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Canadian Solar, Inc., and functions as Canadian Solar’s U.S. project development arm.
- Recurrent Energy has approximately 5 GW of solar and storage projects in development in the U.S.
- Recurrent Energy has developed 2.2 GWp of operating solar projects to date.
- With 4 GWp of executed power contracts, over $9 billion in capital secured, and a solar and energy storage project pipeline of 7 GWp across the United States, recurrent energy has the resources and capabilities to deliver customized products and project configurations.
SunPower Company Description
As one of the world’s most innovative and sustainable energy companies, SunPower (NASDAQ: SPWR) provides a diverse group of customers with complete solar solutions and services. Residential customers, businesses, governments, schools, and utilities around the globe rely on SunPower’s more than 30 years of proven experience. From the first flip of the switch, SunPower delivers maximum value and superb performance throughout the long life of every solar system. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, SunPower has dedicated, customer-focused employees in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and North and South America.
- The initial technology and ideas that led to the creation of SunPower started from solar power research projects in the lab of Richard Swanson, a professor of electrical engineering at Stanford University.
- SunPower is majority-owned by Total (the fourth largest publicly-listed energy company in the world) and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ as SPWR.
- From product engineering and energy innovation to project design, finance, and construction, Sunpower has more than 500 patents and 30 years of proven experience.
- In March 2019, SunPower announced it would buy out membership interests in a number of leaseback holding companies with a number of financial organizations, including Wells Fargo Bank, PNC Bank, MetLife, Regions Bank, and SunTrust.
EDF Renewable Energy Company Description
EDF Renewables North America is an independent power producer and service provider specializing in renewable energy. The Company is currently headquartered in San Diego, CA, and offers Grid-Scale Power, Distributed Solutions, and Asset Optimization.
- As the largest provider of third-party O&M in North America, EDF’s O&M team services over 5,230 wind turbines, 45+ different equipment types, and almost 1,970 solar inverters, which generate over 10 GW of electricity.
- As of June 30th, 2019, EDF’s gross installed capacity amounted to 12,468 MW worldwide, with net installed capacity standing at 7,971 MW and gross capacity under construction at 4,054 MW.
- EDF Renewables has over 3,850+ employees, 12GW+ gross installed, 4GW+ gross under-construction and 2018 consolidated revenues of €1,675M ( ≈ $1,826M USD).
NextEra Energy Resources Company Description:
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $17.2 billion, operates approximately 46,790 megawatts of net generating capacity and employs approximately 14,000 people in 33 states and Canada as of year-end 2017. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Florida, NextEra Energy’s principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 5 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the United States, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun and a world leader in battery storage. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy generates clean, emissions-free electricity from eight commercial nuclear power units in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
- NextEra Energy Resources operates more than 17,000 megawatts of wind and solar generation in North America.
- NextEra Energy Resources has invested more than $20 billion in clean and renewable technologies.
- As of December 2017, NextEra Energy Resources has wind facilities located in 21 states in the U.S. and 4 provinces in Canada, primarily located throughout Texas, the Western and Midwestern regions of the U.S. and Canada.
- Current pre-construction, under construction and operating capacity total over 17GW.
8.) ForeFront Power
ForeFront Power Company Description
The ForeFront Power team has more than a decade of renewable industry experience, serving business, public sector, and residential customers around the world.
- ForeFront Power has developed over 900 MW of capacity across more than 1,000 projects, targeted on assisting public sector agencies and C&I firms to deliver the most impactful behind-the-meter, community solar, and wholesale solutions.
- ForeFront Power offers a solar energy curriculum to bring solar into the classroom.
- ForeFront Power is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mitsui & Co., Ltd., a global energy infrastructure and investment leader.
- ForeFront Power has around 35 employees with annual revenues of approx. $8.4M USD
sPower Company Description
sPower, headquartered in Salt Lake City, UT with offices in San Francisco, CA and New York City, NY, is a leading independent power producer (IPP) which owns and/or operates more than 130 utility and distributed electrical generation systems across the US. With a project pipeline greater than a gigawatt, their portfolio of operating projects spans Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Utah.
- sPower owns and operates a portfolio of solar and wind assets greater than 1.5 GW and has a development pipeline of more than 10 GW.
- sPower is owned by a joint venture partnership between The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES), a worldwide energy company headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, and the Alberta Investment Management Corporation, one of Canada’s largest and most diversified institutional investment fund managers.
sPower’s three-prong operating strategy consists of a balance between 1. Developing early-stage projects; 2. Acquiring and then running late-stage sustainable energy projects; and 3. Procuring fully operational assets.
- sPower strives to be good, responsible neighbors and wants to nurture long-term relationships with local communities that host their renewable projects. sPower’s measured approach prioritizes the needs of local communities, landowners, and investors without compromising the interests of utility companies and ratepayers.
Clearway Energy Group Company Description
Clearway Energy Group (Clearway) is accelerating the world’s transformation to a clean energy future. Built for 21st-century energy markets and focused on providing customers with the power they need and the customer experience they deserve, Clearway was created and staffed with functions specific to renewable energy generation and distribution. With assets across 28 states, more than 500 employees and the capacity to power about 2.7 million homes, Clearway is bringing reliable and clean power to market from day one. The Company is headquartered in San Francisco, CA with offices in Carlsbad, CA; Scottsdale, AZ; Houston, TX; and New York City, NY.
- Clearway is one of the largest developers and operators of clean energy in the United States with over 4.1 gigawatts of wind and solar in operation, including assets owned through their affiliate company, Clearway Energy, Inc.
- Clearway Energy Group allows its customers to offset an equivalent of ≈ 9 million tons of CO2 per year through their operating renewable mix.
- Clearway Energy Group boasts 1.1 GW of operating solar and 2.8 GW of operating wind as well as 4.1 GW of O&M and Asset Management Services.
Source: Energy Acuity Renewable Platform
“Energy Acuity Helps Us Prioritize The Targeting Of Prospects” — Sales Development Manager
Energy Acuity (EA) is the leading provider of power generation and power delivery market intelligence. Founded in 2008, EA was built on the principle that essential energy market research could be conducted and presented more efficiently than the traditional third-party data providers.
EA’s unique approach merges primary research, public resource aggregation, web monitoring and expert analysis that is delivered through a simple, dynamic online platform. This allows our clients to focus on actionable information and win business over the competition.
Eliminate research time and accurately assess the market with Energy Acuity’s Renewables Platform!